Monday 28 November 2011

Team Conclusions


Reflections-
We are preparing to leave Monty’s Surf Camp and head back to Managua. Our work is done and as always this is a time of reflection. This is my 4th eyecare mission and different in many ways to previous ones. I found myself feeling the responsibility of organizing the initial stages of registration and VA (visual testing); especially after Marina left. I realized we could examine and provide for as many patients as we could process through these early stages by the cut-off time as there was NOT a shortage of people in need.  So I spent most of my time in the VA station, not really what I had envisioned…..as an Optometrist I thought retinoscopy, ophthalmoscopy, special testing or prescription writing was my role.  I also did not spend much time in dispensing and experiencing the wow factor (when patient’s put their glasses on for the first time.) However, in looking back, this was no less an emotional roller coaster ride. Memories that come to mind: asking a young man to point to the direction of the tumbling E’s and realizing too late that he had no fingers.  Just speaking of “feeding” the children at the garbage dump brought tears to my eyes. The woman who thought that all she needed was to have her closed lid raised and her vision would be restored.  I had to dash her hope and explain that because she had her ptosis(lid droop) at birth that her eye had never had the opportunity to develop clear vision.
I learned once again this mission the importance of just buckling down and getting things done…sometimes it means taking on unexpected roles. This project was a splendid TEAM effort and an outstanding success as a result and I am so proud to be a part of this Nicaraguan eyecare mission.

-Katherine McKay


Sunday 5am

The sun is just about to rise.  Monty's staff is already cleaning up from the "Partye".  It is very peaceful and time to reflect on the past week.  What I say, I hope, will not be taken the wrong way.  On day 1 of the clinic the attitude of the new first time people tended to be "each man for themselves"…  look for it yourself attitude.  The I am busy fixing the world, putting out fires.  But, by day 5, the whole attitude of the team had changed!  Gone was the I am too busy… now was the "uno moment, Rodger.  I will help you,"  The "I" had changed to "We."  People changed form strangers to Family.   Our team took off their "masks" and let down their "guard" and the "real" started into a well oiled machine.  It was beautiful, gods people helping gods people…  I will be back again.

- Rodger #2 Gopher


1 comment:

  1. Nice to read your updates. Thanks for sharing them here.
    Do stay in touch and Keep writing.
    podiatrist doctors South FL

    ReplyDelete